1 January 1840 an area of land containing 52 acres in all designated
Portion 81 was conveyed to John Cosgrove by the Crown.
On 23 June 1854 John Cosgrove conveyed to the Catholic Church under
trust an area of 3 acres, 1 Rod and 3 Perches "To permit
and suffer to be erected and built upon the land a church or chapel."
Original trustees were Archbishop John Bede Polding, Rev. Robert
Simon Downing and John Cosgrove.
A Catholic school opened on the site in the 1840's and then closed
for a period and reopened in 1852.
In 1857 a new school and residence were being built in the village
under the Denominational School Board.
During 1863 the school had an enrolment of 55 pupils housed in a
slab building in good repair. The building was also used for church
purposes. The school closed in 1869.
The station church at Sutton Forest is described by Father Rioradan
(Parish Priest of Berrima in 1878) as a timber building 56 feet
by 15 feet with seating for 72 people - the chapel being in a bad
state of repair.
Tenders had been called for the erection of a new church with £150
in hand and a further £150 promised. Mr. R. Metz a well known
Berrima tradesman won the tender and was contracted to build the
new church for the sum of six hundred and fifty four pounds; the
building to be of stone in the clear 53 feet by 25 feet and walls
16 feet high.
On the 27th October the foundation stone was laid by Archbishop
Vaughan and was opened for worship in 1879.
It would appear that extensive repairs were carried out to the building
around 1900 when the original shingle roof was replaced with iron.